"The Crossroads" connects the Lewis & Clark Interpretive Center and the Betty Strong Encounter Center. It is a place of reflection and a symbol of hope for dialogue, understanding and peace among all people who make their home in the region.
"The Crossroads" comprises two elements: four colors (black, white, red and yellow) arranged in a circle over a compass. The four colors represent Native peoples who lived in this region long before Lewis & Clark arrived in 1804. The compass refers to those who came after, including explorers, and immigrants who continue to come here from every part of the world.
"The Crossroads" is the result of collaboration between Cannon Moss Brygger & Associates architects and Raymond A. Bucko, S.J., chair of Sociology/ Anthropology and director of Native American Studies at Creighton University, Omaha, Nebraska
Cannon Moss Brygger designed the Sioux City Lewis & Clark Interpretive Center and the adjoining Betty Strong Encounter Center. Fr. Bucko is the Center's cultural outreach advisor.
The Crossroads message is illuminated by the poem, "The Sign of the Cross," by J. Janda.